Joey Kamide: Goulash and Baseball

Goulash and Baseball

We jumped straight from our flight, onto the bus, and over to the Prague
Castle, where our 42-person contingent toured the St. Vitus Cathedral.
Centuries-old culture, history and cuisine, chased with great-tasting (and ridiculously inexpensive) beer and maybe a couple scoops of Gelato. Toss in some (at times rugged) baseball, an ever-prompt tour guide, a muscle-bound bus driver, and our 42-member contingent of players, coaches and parents from Northern Virginia had their seven-day, five-game, four-country baseball trek through the Czech Republic, Austria, Slovakia and Hungary.

Thanks to the MVP International Athletics program, I had the opportunity earlier this month to travel to Europe for a third consecutive summer with a team from our area, this time a group of 13-15 year-olds and three high school head coaches from Northern Virginia; Madison’s Pudge Gjormand, South Lakes’ Morgan Spencer and Langley’s Kevin Healy.

These trips we take overseas are not as much about wins and losses on the baseball field as they are learning about how cultures were formed and have evolved, have succeeded or failed throughout the centuries, often times dating back to the Medieval Ages and even the Roman Empire. Since Pudge and Matt Foley first began organizing international trips some 7-8 years ago, players from our area have visited countries such as Germany, Italy, Spain, the Dominican Republic, and the four Central European nations we toured this month. Next week, another team will head to Puerto Rico.

Those who have followed this blog know that I have caught the travel bug, a result of my being born on a U.S. Army base in Germany, a family vacation to Europe years ago, and an 18-month stint where I lived and coached overseas. Though my travels, I’ve gained an awesome appreciation for the cultures in Europe. I love trying the varying cuisines, whether it’s the great pasta and breads in Italy, the spicy dishes in Hungary, trying the differing versions of Goulash in Germany/Austria, the Czech Republic and Hungary, sampling the sangria in Spain, debating which country brews the best beer, and of course, delving into my favorite European dish, the Czech Republic’s Svickova (I know, I’m missing the accents over the letters!).

It’s one thing to study world history, it’s another to witness in person where that history took place. Every trip, I’ve found myself sounding very much like my mother when she took my brother, sister and I overseas years ago when I tell players to pay attention during the guided tours of of castles, cathedrals and museums. I get it, you’re in middle school or about to start high school, you’d probably rather be paintballing or pounding your buddy in Halo or Gears of War than staring at stain glass windows in a 500-year-old church. But I tell them how impressed their history teacher would be when they get back to school next month and tell them stories of what they saw, or better yet, should they hand in a paper on it for some extra credit to start off the semester (I know, slim to no chance any of them do that!).

And then there’s the baseball. We get to see an awesome variety of fields and facilities, the parents love the fact that they serve beer at the games (FCPS, there’s an easy fix to the budget problem!), and what an experience for our guys to face youth national teams. Seeing ‘AUSTRIA’ or ‘HUNGARY’ across your opponent’s chest has a bit more meaning in the grand scheme of one’s baseball career than ‘MCLEAN’ or ‘WESTFIELD’. Don’t get me wrong, I want to beat those guys as well, but competing against a team representing a country is pretty special. Then being able to swap caps or shirts after games with those players? That’s pretty cool.

I certainly appreciate the opportunity that has been presented to me with these trips. My hope is that the players have as well, and that the parents have re-hydrated after all those half-liters of Kozel, Pilsner Urquell, Soproni and whatever else happened to be on tap at the clubhouses. That Atto, our tour guide, returns to Germany to a successful acting career. And that Miro, our Ivan Drago-lookalike at the bus’ helm, doesn’t body slam the next Fiat that cuts him off.

Until next time, Europe.